Sunday, January 15, 2006

google earth

It can only be a question of time until Google achieves world domination. For many years, this has been the search engine of my choice (and of everyone else's as well, it seems). The launch of Google maps has vastly improved online cartography, and local Google will change the way you look at your city (once it is covered). Google book search might be the best thing to happen since the Sumerians started collecting clay tablet in their temples. All these services are offered online without the need for software to be installed on your computer. I'm all for that.

I'm less enthusiastic when a company, be it Google or anything else, claims it needs the power of my laptop for their offerings to work. Thus I have not made use of Google earth yet. I might have to change my mind, though. This morning I came upon a little gallery that Russell Standring created for his grenoblecycling.com pages, and I must confess that I'm extremely impressed. Now I don't even have to leave my desk in order to ride up mountains.

1 comment:

Carlo Alberto said...

Hallo, about Google Earth, this is a collection of beautiful italian places with kmz files:

http://italyongoogleearth.blogspot.com

Regards.