Monday, May 08, 2006

rain, man

It's May. This wouldn't be worth mentioning if it wasn't for two little curious facts.

First, May in France is full of holes, worse than a good Swiss cheese. These holes are holidays, and they make the month completely worthless with respect to work. There is the First of May, the Eighth of May, Ascension, and Pentecost, if you're lucky. All these days off should make for good riding, early in the season but late enough for the weather to be nice.

That's where the second curious fact comes into play. I have ridden exactly two days during the preceding two three-day weekends. Out of six days that could have been great, four were literally drowned. Torrential rainfall, thunderstorms and impressive lightning, storm, broken branches on the road - enough to fill a year. The two remaining days I got out and rode, but compared to last year, I'm a complete failure. Last May I rode L'Alpe d'Huez before going to Salt Lake for my graduation. This year I'm ridden the Col de Porte once and have a less than impressive 800km on my odometer. There was just too much rain.

In a truly bizzare coincidence, M6 is showing Rain Man tonight. I can't exlude that they are trying to make fun of me.

No comments: