Tuesday, April 03, 2007

bring out the imp

This is a post that I've been wanting to write for a long time, about something that's been in the making for a while. After a last short negotiation session concerning the optimal length of my unemployment this summer, I have sold my body and soul to Imperial College where I'll start slaving towards the end of July of this year. I will be an Imp.

The lab, Paul Freemont's, is excellent, the environment was stimulating when I visited, and I have the feeling that I'm honestly wanted and that I will contribute there. About the financial aspects I can say nothing yet. I'll have to live in London to see how much one needs to survive. But I got the assurance that the salary will last through at least three quarters of the month.

Why did I not go back to Germany as I have wanted? Well, lack of options, maybe, though that could be paraphrased as lack of looking hard. There were two interesting things where the timing just wasn't right. But in the end it boils down to my desire to remain a foreigner. There are too many benefits associated with it. Off to England, for a change.

2 comments:

Dee said...

desire to remain a foreigner
I wonder if there is a word for that.

Congratulations on your new job.

Andreas Förster said...

In German, there is a word that comes close, maybe. Fernweh means the desire to be away. It's used mostly in the context of traveling or wanting to travel, though.