Monday, June 18, 2007

cheat to win

When I opened my mailbox this morning, I found an envelope that had come over from the US. In it was a little gift that make me laugh a lot, a bright yellow elastic wristband. However, in contrast to similar bracelet I already own, this one didn't say LiveStrong, but Cheat to Win. I put it on right away and pushed my bike out on the street. The smile lingered in my face for a while but transformed into a tired grimace once I found myself, yet again, on the steep road up the Col de Porte where no one handed me blood bags or syringes full of stimulants.

I haven't followed professional cycling at all this year. I'm sick of doping and how everyone pretends it is not happening. Those that step forward with their stories of EPO, growth hormones and what not are presented as individually responsible outlaws by the cycling establishment. I'm not so mad at cyclists for taking all the stuff. It's not cheating if everyone does it, and they're only fucking up their own health.

As I like my health as it is, I'll stick with the concept of living strong. And for winning, I believe in suffering not cheating. But thanks for the bracelet anyway, Brian.

3 comments:

Dee said...

I like the bracelet
even if I will not cheat(not that I've had the opportunity one way or the other)
I know most everyone else is
that sucks but it is what it is

Andreas Förster said...

I'm not trying to win AGAINST anybody but FOR myself. And if I cheated I wouldn't be able to see the winner in mE.

Anonymous said...

i cheat and i win. feels good inside. win win