Tuesday, October 16, 2007

infantilization

The other day, I signed up with facebook. This is my first adventure in virtual sociability. I resisted friendster, mySpace and Hi5, the latter despite multiple invites. I thought that I know my friends and don't need affirmation in the form of "I'm friends with you" tags.

I think I was right. Facebook is silly. It lets you feel like you connect with people by shot-gunning status updates and assembling lists of two gazillion friends. I prefer a long email or, a dramatic change over the past, an even longer phone call. Or just come over and stay in my spare bed for the weekend.

With facebook I have the impression of being back in high-school, exchanging pledges of friendship and trying to be cool. I was never cool.

On the other hand, finding people you once knew is cool. So maybe facebook is not about friends but about staying connected with acquaintances, and they're only called friends to make people feel better? Maybe in a week or two I'll get it. Wanna be my friend?

1 comment:

Jdid said...

they arent friends, just acquaintances as you said.

i'm still feeling out facebook and my true friends are the folk i exchange emails or phone conversations with not those in my facebook profile.

what i do like a bit about facebook are the groups. i just found it really cool to say join a group with people from my university program or my high schol program and reminisce on the follies of yesteryear

otherwise do i really need updates to know who is at work or watching tv. its a bit too voyeuristic for my tastes