Thursday, October 09, 2008

roasting revisited

On of my favorite places in Salt Lake was an independent coffee shop whose fanatical owner traveled the world in search of the best coffees. He brought them to Utah, roasted and brewed them, and served them to a bunch of U students. Maybe not the most discerning clientèle imaginable, but his fastidiousness earned him a devoted following. The Salt Lake Roasting Company was a shining light in the darkness of Starbucks.

A group of friends of mine used to meet every Thursday night for coffee and chatting, firing up the place with our banter while around us more assiduous folks would work on their laptops. The Roasting Company had free wireless and no one was ever kicked out for consuming only one coffee over the course of five hours.

Ever since leaving Utah, I've been looking for a place to match the SLRC. There was nothing the like in France where people would, even in darkest nightmares, not imagine working when they're off work. Coffee shops offer beer and smokes but not wireless and comfy chairs for hours. In London, the situation is similarly dire. There are plenty of American-style coffee shops, but most of them belong to chains, are interchangeable and don't solicit more than a brief stop. I go there from time to time to have a coffee – which is excellent – but I'm not enticed to make any of those my second home, move in with laptop and iPod like some of my friends did in Salt Lake.


Every morning and evening, I cycle along Uxbridge Road, a busy thoroughfare that connects my street with the nearest transportation hub. It's a lively place. There are not many premises that do not house stores, restaurants or, curiously, barber shops. It all a bit run down and cheap, epitomized by the ubiquitous Chicken Cottage, a home-grown and rather dingy fast food chain with outlets every half mile. This is not a pretentious neighborhood, but it's very dynamics. Businesses open and close all the time.

I was surprised when Café Bliss opened a few months ago. One glance sufficed to see that it was different. The sign above the door was well-designed, the beefy leather chairs inside looked comfortable, everything was solid. The main room was light filled and extended over multiple levels. Outside were a few aluminum tables and dark wooden chairs. Everything fit together. However, the place was invariably empty.

Maybe there are no yuppies in Shepherd's Bush who would spend money on a coffee that they could also get a nutritious chicken meal for. Maybe the Arabs who can be seen smoking the hubbly-bubbly every night prefer to do this in a more Arabic setting. Maybe I just have to go see for myself.

Tonight, I did. On my way home from shopping with a heavy bag in my hand, I walked by its brightly lit window and couldn't resist diving into the emptiness behind. The baristo (if there is such a thing) was Arabic and served me a lovely mint tea. The chairs were as cozy as they looked and invited a longer stay. I hadn't had dinner; I had to move on. But I know where I'll come the next time I want to read the Zeit or The New Yorker in peace. All would be perfect if my friends decided to move into this area also.

2 comments:

Sean said...

Hard to believe that SLC has something to offer that is lacking in London, other than the mountains of course.

Andreas Förster said...

Snow is lacking in London, but since there are no mountains, that's not a loss at all.