Tuesday, November 04, 2008

memory lane

By now it's too late to call on my readers to get out and vote. Either you've done so already or you're standing in a line waiting. Even more likely, though, is that you're not eligible to vote in the first place. In that case, relax. The world will keep turning whether you worry or not. It's best not to fret.

One particular friend of mine, an Arab residing in California who's the proud bearer of a Green Card but would be even prouder if he had his American passport already, will certainly not have a minute of rest today, checking dozens of news sites in perpetual succession for any information that might reliably foretell the outcome of the election. Being a scientist, he knows that the future cannot be predicted, and yet he won't be able to contain his anxiety. He wants the right candidate to win.

Last time, four years ago, when we were both graduate students at Utah, he went as far as promising cookies for everyone at the weekly lab meeting, in case the worst president in history would be, well, history. By the time lab meeting came around, two days after the election, celebration mood had turned sour and a sobriety bordering on depression had beset my friend. No Kerry, no cookie.

Like my friend, I also retain vivid memories of the last presidential election. While I wasn't quite as much of a news junkie as my friend, I made sure to stay abreast of the latest exit polls. When the sun had set, number came in indicating Ohio had gone the right way and the election been decided. With a group of friends I then set out to see a mediocre movie at the dollar theater, which was true to its name only on Tuesdays. Imagine the devastation when I turned my computer on a few hours later and learned the truth.

This year, the stakes might be just as high as they were four years ago, but I find myself distanced, geographically as well as emotionally. Why get worked up about the big country beyond the sea? I rather spend my evening blogging and reading than getting unreliable numbers fixes. On the other hand, tomorrow morning, when the race is run, I'll get up early to see who the winner is. I might even have a cookie to celebrate.

2 comments:

Dee said...

how was the cookie?

The last race was unbelievable for me. They never finished counting the paper ballots in Ohio--one of the most hotly contested states.

Andreas Förster said...

I had cake! Our North Dakotan colleague brought it in.