Monday, January 05, 2009

music from the other side

I'm sitting here in a run-down dorm room at the University of Nottingham reflecting on a day of talks, choke-full with information and new knowledge. In front of me, a MacBook is spilling out songs that that caress the soul. The minute I'm not thinking about Fourier transforms and reciprocal space anymore I can't help but pity those who can't fully enjoy the greatest band of all, Element of Crime. No one has ever managed to pair poetry with melancholy tunes quite like this. Who is this Dylan guy anyway?

If you ever needed a reason to learn German, Element of Crime is it. If you need convincing, their early albums were actually sung in English. Go listen – and don't come back reading my blog until you've formed, and voiced, an opinion.

No comments: