Thursday, November 03, 2005

home is

My last entry dates from half a month and half a world away. Let me recap what happened. After my vacation in sunny Indiana I went to equally sunny Paris to attend a workshop in the vicinity of this most beautiful of cities. I had my brain stuffed with the intricacies of electron microscopy and x-ray crystallography and how to combine the two for personal gain. Sixteen hours of work interrupted only by lunch and dinner. This being France, however, lunch and dinner were both elaborate stagings. Two hours each and four courses. No kidding. Salad, main course, cheese, desert and coffee each time we sat down on the dining tables. Well, ok, it could have been worse, but by the end of the week I was looking forward to a slice of bread and a glass of beer.

Which is exactly what I got. The weekend the course ended had the kindness of supplying two holidays - one being All Saints, the other one good company, just to make it worth it. I flew to Dresden and had my parents treat me to austere German fare. Featuring prominently the beer I mentioned above. And still the sun was shining and fall was more Indian summer than grey November.

After 25 days away I set foot in my apartment again. One day later, the sun still shining like there were no end to summer this year, I grabbed my bike and started up the Col de Porte. I had not taken into account the recent demise of daylight savings time, thus could go only halfway up before darkness forced me to head back to town. I was out for just under an hour, but that was enough to remind me forcefully that for me home will always be where I hang my bike.

No comments: