Sunday, March 11, 2007

extreme make-over

With cup of Japanese green tea that curiously smells a bit like fish and a plate of cookies in front of me, I surf to the New Yorker web site for some entertaining writing. I almost fall from my chair because I don't recognize their site. It used to be so easy. Five or six links sent you to the stories from the latest issue that were available on the web. The rest wasn't.

Now, I see about a gazillion links, to articles from the last half year it seems, to animations, podcasts, slide shows, cartoons, events, and Paris Hilton's latest sex video. I don't care. I don't want to see all this chaos. The New Yorker's website was the pinnacle of clarity in a tumultuous world, but now it has given in.

I'll probably get used to it. I remember I hated the new design when the Economist got a make-over. Now I only find it mildly annoying. Why is it so hard to present content clearly?

1 comment:

Dee said...

Paris Hilton? Gah!

I went and checked but there are so many links I can't find half of what you talked about