Monday, May 28, 2007

time travel

After a bit more procrastination that absolutely necessary, I finally rented a truck and booked a spot on a Channel ferry today. In July I'll be going to London, taking all my measly belongings with me. Since I've lived in a nearly completely furnished apartment for the last two years, I could have almost made do with a regular passenger van, stuffed to the brim like when I brought my books, clothes, bikes, and stereo over from Germany.

I decided on a moving truck for two reasons: a while back I bought a mattress that I don't want to part with because it has been good to my aging body, and I want to take as much wine with me as possible to help me sweeten my memories of France. Now I'm waiting for the big wine sale.

Today was a public holiday where the public was obliged to work. I don't entirely understand the concept of this so-called Day of Solidarity, but apparently the money saved by people working on a public holiday will go to benefit the frail and elderly. Good, I didn't have to work myself, but I could see the effect this concept had on those who did while shopping in the local grocery store. I had never in my life seen anyone move groceries by the scanner with less enthusiasm and speed. Every – item – was – picked – up – with – great – care – and – after – a – short – pause – scanned.

How fast will life be in England? Hard to say from a distance, but if the ferry is any indicator, much faster. According to the timetable, I will arrive in Dover exactly five minutes before departing from Boulogne. And I won't stop once I get there.

3 comments:

Dee said...

Are you going to have a garage sale?
How about in the lab? Are you taking anything with you? giving anything away?

Andreas Förster said...

I don't think they do garage sales in France. At least in Grenoble, you could only to them in the apartment because there are only few garages and even fewer front yards.

I have a snowboard, a TV and a sofa that I wouldn't mind getting rid of. Besides that, not much. Ah, and if anyone is willing to take up the scores of German and English books that I won't read again but am loath to throw away...

Dee said...

how about craigslist?