Thursday, December 07, 2006

Nikon or Canon

Over the last several weeks, my desire to get a real digital camera has grown stronger and stronger. My two-year old Canon A95 is a fine digicam, but doesn't come close in ease of use to the film SLR I used to own. Last night I finally sat down to do some research. I see two contenders in hot pursuit of my money. Canon's brand new Rebel 400D (XTi) and Nikon's D80. Both cost less than 1000 euros, and both can be equipped with Sigma's 30/1.4 lens, basically the only normal lens in the APS-C sensor digital world.

As I understand photography, every good camera should first and foremost be equipped with a normal lens. It is lightweight and makes taking good pictures easy. The perspective of the lens is similar to that of the human eye. Something that looks good to the beholder will be a good picture. No difference between Nikon and Canon in this case, just persistent indecision on my part.

While I was clicking around on photo.net, trying to get some more information to help me decide, I came upon a picture that reminded me of another great lens, the second essential in a photographer's bag. Just as Phil Greenspun's Glen Canyon Dam, the shot below was taken with a 28/2.8 mounted on a N8008 body. The wider the lens, the more dramatic the sky will look. I loved the 28, though these days I'd probably go with a 24.

acoma pueblo

Now here's the problem: With the magnification factor of about 1.6 due to the smaller sensor size compared to 35mm film, you cannot buy a wide angle lens for a digital camera. All that exists are very few wide angle zooms, and who wants to lug those around? So it's still 0:0 between Nikon and Canon, and zero points are not a good score.

I was looking forward to testing my new digital SLR in Prague at Christmas. Instead, it looks increasingly likely that I'll just borrow my dad's N70 and shoot the few rolls of slide film that still hibernate in my fridge. I might even find one last Velvia there.

3 comments:

Dee said...

why do you keep the film in the refrigerator? Is that better for it?

Gary said...

I can feel your indecision on buying a real digital camera. I was in the same boat. My Canon SD400 was great but I wanted more controls. So when I heard about the new XTi/400D I was super excited as I was heading towards the Rebel XT.

I bought the "Kiss Digital X", aka the 400D/XTi in Seoul (Japanese Warranty, hence the different name). All I can say is that I love this new camera. Coming from a Canon user, I immediately was familiar with the menu and button layouts.

I was considering the D80, but the price was too much for me. I think I'm better off spending more on good glass as they say. What convinced me towards the 400D/XTi was the new dust cleaning system, 10MP, and the 9point autofocus taken from the more expensive 30D. Also, according to the reviews out there, Canon has a slight advantage when it comes to ISO 1600, IMO.

So far, I only have the 50 f/1.8 (I skipped the kit lens) but I'm planning on buying the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 as my next lens.

I have spent so much time on the dpreview.com and potn.com forums researching. All I can says is I'm happy with my new 400D/XTi/Kiss Digital X. Good luck with your decision!!! Check out my camera here:

http://thedailykimchi.blogspot.com/2006/11/my-new-digital-slr-canon-eos-digital.html

Andreas Förster said...

@god's child:
Film lasts longer if you leave it in the fridge (in a zip-lock bag to keep humidity away). Every roll of film has an expiration date (usually printed on the box). Beyond that, colors might be off, etc. You'll have problems earlier if you leave film in heat or bright sunlight.

@gdog:
So you bought a 50/1.8 with your 400D. That would be a 80mm lens in the full-frame world, a nice portrait lens. Why did you buy this as your first lens and not something that corresponds to 'normal' in small-sensor digital, like the Sigma 30/1.4?
I didn't know Tamron made a 17-50 zoom. This might be worth a second thought. The one wide angle zoom that I know is the Canon 10-22/3.5-4.5, which costs almost as much as the 400D.