Monday, December 11, 2006

savoir vivre

As I was walking my Mexican friend home from the theater tonight, I noticed two little things that I thought were worth sharing. I even went back out into the cold to take a few pictures. As it is too late to have my tired brain produce smart lines, I'll let the images speak (and demote this highly self-regarding blog to a measly slide show).

side of burned Audi

This poor Audi was parked only yards from where I live. It's well known that French kids like to torch cars, a hundred of them are burned in an average night across the country, but this takes normally place far away from the safe cradle of Bourgeois life, in the banlieues, where French society is mostly absent and a parallel dog-eat-dog world has developed. There is nothing to interpret into this. It's just the first time I've seen a car brulée.

merry tropical Christmas

On a lighter note (no pun intended), Grenoble put up Christmas decoration last week. This year is the first time I see brightly flashing lights, almost strobes. I'm not sure how they convey the holiday spirit. I also saw for the first time Christmas palm trees. My friend immediately took a liking to them, but I'm in doubt. This is not Yucatán or Puerto Vallarta here. Anyway, it's French living, I guess.

No comments: