Friday, December 15, 2006

thinking ahead

It's been two days now that I have my arm in a cast, and I hate it. It feels like my hand got stuck in a big earthen bowl, and I can't get it out. Sometimes I feel like smashing the white glob against a wall to see it shatter into a million pieces. The doctors probably wouldn't like this, and neither would my thumb. Sometimes the thought to simply take it off crosses my mind. I've tried it. It doesn't work.

So I'm klutzing through life with one useless arm. Last night I took a shower. How am I supposed to clean the arm that holds the soap while the other is idling hidden underneath a plastic bag? How do I do dishes? Do I have to get disposable plates, knives and forks? Or should I rather get a wife?

To keep my mind off the rather depressing present, I decided to replace some of my cycling gear. I went to Veloland, which had a going-out-of-business sale, and focused on the future for a while. Spring is around the corner, I tried to tell myself, and the cast will be gone.

Sidi Genius

Besides cables and tools I bought a new pair of cycling shoes to succeed my old ones. Both are Sidis, the best road shoes in existence, but the first pair is now, at eleven years, beginning to show its age.

No comments: