Tuesday, February 06, 2007

london calling

Tonight is the third time that I'm seriously contemplating going to the Land of Eng. The last two times, I had good reasons to bail, and I did. I ended up in Salt Lake City and Grenoble, for better or worse, respectively ;-)

Today, I gave a talk at an undisclosed location here, and it was good. I talked to the prospective boss, and it was good. He is enthusiastic about science and has the record to match. He showed keen interest in my coming. It was an interview without a dark moment.

With all undue self-important smugness, I think I'm a very good fit for the lab. There is a certain overlap with my Ph.D. work, and the multipronged approach to science they like to take here is also very dear to me.

People in the lab were friendly, sociably and highly interactive. In one afternoon, I had more conversations than I had in Grenoble in one year. They were satisfying and not all about science. Why the hell am I flying back? Boss asked me if I could start tomorrow, but there are certain financial reasons for running the current job its due course. And there is of course the sage piece of advice that you should always sleep a night over a big decision.

Who wants to live in London anyway?

No comments: