Sunday, January 06, 2008

between the years

I spent the last two weeks and a half in Dresden with my family. Most of the time passed quietly; the recent loss of a family member is still on everybody's mind. Being home was enjoyable nevertheless. Germany is a lovely place, things happen as they are supposed to, stores sell what I like, and trains run fast and on time, mostly.

In contrast to London, it was cold. So cold, in fact, that the lakes around Château Moritzburg were frozen over, covered with a thick layer of ice. To my surprise, I found a brand spanking new pair of ice skates in our basement that looked like they were made for me. No one remembered how they got there, but since my mom and sister were equally equipped, nothing could keep us from reviving the old family tradition of going ice skating. I was lucky to have practiced in London only a week earlier – and the first time in ten years. I moved with some aptitude. My mom didn't show her age at all, and my sister impressed everybody with what she has learned playing hockey in a second division team. We had a blast the first time around.

The second day was a bit scarier since it was after the first cold night after a few warm days and we weren't sure how strong the ice would be. We were also the only ones on the lake and only ventured out with some trepidation. But all was good and we had fun.

For New Year's I met friends from college. We partied in a town not far from where we went to college, a town with no reputation or renown outside city limits and probably not much within either. We were told, however, that the city center would be one big bash on December 31st. After some drinks and tasty, tasty baked pork, we walked there. It was close to midnight.

We had got really close to the market when we came by a big screen at the side of a building, which showed a German TV station. They were counting down the seconds, three, two, one, and then it was 2008. We ran a bit further towards the market, but everything was eerily quite, so we decided to open our champagne there and then and start the new year. While drinking, all by our lonely selves, we heard shouting from a thousands lungs coming from the market, three, two, one, 2008, and the masses erupted in cheers. This is how we missed the new year twice.

Now I'm back in London, the sun's shining, and another year has taken over. May it be peaceful and free of disaster. And may you all be healthy and surrounded by friends. Happy 2008!

No comments: