Saturday, January 19, 2008

hola

It's been long since I've had Mexican, Argentine and Costa Rican roommates, but all this time it has bothered me that I never benefited more from their company. They could have taught me perfect Spanish in these years, if I had just made the effort. Unfortunately, it never went further than watching Brazilian soap operas, helpfully dubbed in Spanish. And while watching soaps operas, with their trivial subjects and basic dialogs, is probably the best way of picking up a language, it wasn't enough for me, mainly for lack of practice. I was lazy, and thus always spoke English with my friends.

This morning, I set out on another unspoken resolution. I had registered for an intensive Spanish class and went for the first time. All traces of laziness stayed behind when I rushed from my sumptuous breakfast because the course started at 10. For the next five hours, thankfully interrupted by a lunch break, I immersed myself in a language that I understand pretty well but can speak hardly at all. Due to a profound lack of formal training, I have no notion of grammar and no active vocabulary. Due to an equally profound lack of practice, I cannot say but the simplest things.

The class was good, the other students fun, the teacher motivating and passionate, and we all spoke a lot – often more than one at a time in a display of chaotic exuberance. I'll make sure to practice throughout the week, and I'll surely go back there next Saturday.

On the way home after the class, I stopped at my favorite baker's, Forrest. It was just about four, but he had run out of most of its wares, polishing the shelves and getting ready to close for the weekend. I got one of the last breads there were, a Split Tin (whatever that is), for all of 85 pence.

Whatever it was, it was delicious. What's more, it went perfectly with Irish butter and Manchego cheese. I finished my snack with an apple from Aquitaine and, with food as simple and good as this I couldn't help but think I was back in France. With it came the realization that it's significantly simpler to learn Spanish than French. This time, I'll stick to it.

4 comments:

Dee said...

wow. Spanish.
Well, you'll have to celebrate your success with a trip, won't you?

Andreas Förster said...

Hmm, a reward for successful completion of the course? Spain is too difficult because people speak so fast. But maybe Mexico or Argentina, the Andes or Venezuela? All far off, unfortunately.

Dee said...

or Spanish Harlem
;)

Andreas Förster said...

Good point. The other day I read that there are 187 flights a week between London and New York.