Sunday, January 06, 2008

resolutions

As every year, I started 2008 with no resolutions whatsoever. A recent personality test confirmed I was a spontaneous person, and I'd like to keep it that way. But here are a few thoughts that could have been developed into resolutions if I were such inclined.

  • Run a marathon. – That's obvious, isn't it, given that I won't do any epic bike rides this year? The question is which one, where to run, and when to start training.
  • See a new country. – Last year was pretty poor with only Spain and Ireland added to the list, and even those not really because I only saw Barcelona and Dublin. Traveling and experiencing the unknown rock.
  • Write more. – There are so many things going on in my life, and my hard drive is full of fragments, situations and ideas. Why don't I find the motivation to turn some of them into a finished product? Grenoble seemed better for my creativity. Maybe it was the stillness.
  • Learn Spanish. – Arabic might be more appropriate given the neighborhood I live in, but I wouldn't want to set goals so high I can't even see let alone hope of ever reaching them. Knowing languages is good.
  • Find a job in Germany. – I love London, and I don't want to leave, so maybe this wouldn't make it into this year's resolutions anyway, but the day will come that I'll want to leave, and what could be better than going to Germany? Many things are wrong with the country but many more are just right. Every time I return from abroad, I'm convinced this is the most nearly perfect country in the world. Are there any openings in Munich for 2010?
  • Live happily. – This should be a the top of the list, but it's too self-evident, and the only interesting aspect is a question: How far do you go to live the dream? How stubborn should you be pursuing what you want, or how ruthless if the answer to the first seems too easy. I'm stubborn like no other, but I'm far from ruthless. Where's the balance? What am I talking about? I won't tell, but hell is this issue rolling around in my head...

Finally, here's something from the we're-not-there-yet department. Will optimism and courage beat cynicism and convention in 2008?

2 comments:

Dee said...

how come you write your blog in English? It suddenly occurred to me to wonder.

Andreas Förster said...

Well, I started out in English and German, depending on what worked better (*). When I discovered that I had returning readers and some of them didn't understand German but all English, I dropped my mother tongue.

* The inexplicable and subtle differences between languages really amaze me. Some things can be better said in English than in German, and vice versa. Even with my poor command of French, something thoughts pop into my head that I couldn't express nealy as neatly in another language. Sometimes I'm tempted to finish a paragraph in another language than I started, but that would lose reader very quickly, I fear.