Thursday, October 06, 2005

the truth in music

The other day I went to the local fnac, the biggest chain for music in France. People tell me that fnac is expensive, but no one is required to buy 20-euro CDs. They have many good deals, and their selection amazes me every time, even in as small a store as in Grenoble. I went to snag another one of these fine Putumayo CDs, which have been on sale for 14 euros for a while.

I've appreciated Putumayo's ingenious way of putting together great music from all four corners of the world ever since Iccha gave me 'Congo to Cuba', a musical journey from the roots of son to its modern interpretations. Guaranteed to make you feel good, they say, and for me that's true. You can't go wrong with Putumayo. I now own ten covering a good part of the globe, from Cuba and Brazil over North Africa all the way to Asia. My latest addition is 'New Orleans', and it's easily the best.

This sampler has come as a revelation to me because I wasn't familiar with New Orleans jazz before. I had an idea of what sounds off a float at Mardi gras, but that's not the real deal. It's like comparing deep fried fish at Joe's Crab Shack to crawfish étouffée at Andrew Jaeger's. Now I can stuff New Orleans into my ears. Kermit Ruffins and Dr. Micheal White are fantastic. And I have more CDs lined up for me to purchase.

1 comment:

Jim said...

Lots of Louis Armstrong's early recordings are works of genius, like "West End Blues."