Tuesday, April 25, 2006

your money

I just read an article in the Economist on Islam in Europe, quite a hot topic here in France where more than five million Muslims live and where society is explicitly organized to minimize the influence of individual's beliefs on the workings of said society.

The article is hardly noteworthy - don't worry if you don't have a subscription. There was but one line that stood out, claiming that Saudi oil money helps popularize an orthodox version of Islam that might eventually bring good old Europe to its knees. This line struck me because of its uncreative scapegoating. I can do better.

There is no such thing as Saudi oil money. There is Saudi oil, and there is American money. If Europe or, while I'm at it, our world goes down the drain, it's all your fault, you damn SUV drivers. There you have it. Something I've always wanted to say.

No comments: