Tuesday, January 30, 2007

the world in 2007

Is it too late for a New Year's post? Here it goes:

I missed out on all the 2006 recap TV shows and magazine issues. I must have had other things to do. Plus, I lived through 2006. I still remember some.

What's up with 2007? There are fewer shows and magazine articles that predict the future because it's always easier (though not foolproof, mind you) to predict the past. The Economist is an exception I know of. At the beginning of each year they fill a little book with how the world is going to look in the twelve months to come. Over the last few years, I have tired of their vision and haven't read their wisdom this time around.

For all the guessing and crystal balling, there's one thing I know for sure. No one in the world could have predicted what happened today.

Docandreas got a cell phone, ignominiously bailing from the battle for last one standing without one. As if to make up for years of deprivation, I didn't just get one but two numbers, one for France, the other for Germany. The rush of being part of the in-crowd is racing through my body and making my feet go numb. I feel like a thirteen year-old. Now I just need to shrink my fingers accordingly so I can operate the little beast without constantly hitting three keys at the same time.

2 comments:

Dee said...

oh. my. gosh.
I have a cousin who is just like you. She hasn't caved yet though.
I'm interested to know--what happened?

Andreas Förster said...

check this out:
http://docandreas.blogspot.com/2007/02/good-reasons-and-bad.html
(you might anyway)