Saturday, April 28, 2007

linda

I went to a Mauritian restaurant today for the first time. It's right around the corner from where I live and has been tempting me ever since I moved in. Tonight I finally had company willing to give it a try.

The atmosphere inside was perfect, with tropical island design but nothing over the top. The waitress was friendly and send us home with a bag full of black beans and two bottles of salsa, which she had bought in Mexico. (No, I didn't get the connection either.) The food, unfortunately, was only good. Nothing like you could have pulled the seat from underneath my butt and I wouldn't have noticed because I was too absorbed in my meal.

What can I say, it was a splendid evening anyway. My friends kept teaching me Spanish. (Again, the connection with France or the Mauritian restaurant is not immediately obvious.) I went home finally starting to get the difference between estar and ser. The two sentences that drove the message home were: "Tu eres linda" and "Tu estas linda", sentences that might even come in handy in Barcelona. See you in two weeks.

1 comment:

Dee said...

Did the waitress seem to like you a lot? I would not give away my hard-earned bottles of salsa to just any customer.