Monday, June 25, 2007

the smoke clears

I'm still wavering. Obviously not about whether I should go to London or not. I will. But about whether it's going to be good or not. I'm careful with my enthusiasm this time. As the saying goes, once burned, twice shy. I came to Grenoble with expectations higher than the Taillefer, this most majestic peak. Not all were met, to put it mildly.

If nothing else, London is going to be different. It's hard to see in what way it couldn't. I'm doubtful about many aspects, I'm terrified by some, and I try not to get too excited. Things might turn out less than perfect, and perfection is the bar that everything is measured against.

Scientifically, I should be home free. I've convinced my new boss that I'm a rock star, and I'm absolutely convinced that the lab is a perfect match for me, that I'm joining a dynamic and enthusiastic group of people ready to do world-class science – at a top tier institution. You're not imperial for nothing.

What's less clear is everything else, everything that matters – life. Will things turn out better than here, will I feel home, will I party like it's 1999? Impossible to tell, and completely pointless to philosophize about. What I already know for a fact, though, is that I'll go out more than I did here. London's pubs will be smoke free from July 1st. Can it get any better?

1 comment:

Dee said...

I'm assuming you're not a smoker?

I think it will be just like Grenoble, only in English and with really bad food (maybe you'll save a lot by never eating out)

Hope the lab is all you expect, or more.