Friday, July 27, 2007

day two

The second day in the big city has come to an end. The sun has set and the clouds that couldn't decide all day whether they should just hang in the sky menacingly or dump their load on people in the streets have finally cleared. The weekend promises to be nice.

Work started yesterday. The contrast to my previous job was stark, as expected. I had my ID after less than five minutes, and it opens the right doors. No day-long pointless security sessions were required. My email address and network account had been ready from the day my contract was signed. When I connected for the first time I had half a dozen official emails from months ago. As long as things work, I won't complain about bizarre effects.

Back in the lab after the foray into administration, the first thing I was told was "Get the computer guy to order the laptop you want. Configure your dream, and you should have it in a week or two." I appreciate that kind of attitude. When doing science it's good not to encumbered by mundane inconveniences like budget limits. However, I happen to like my computer and don't see the need for another. So I went down to the department IT guy.

He started me asking in detail what computer I would like to have, laptop or workstation, Mac or PC. It took me a while to get through to him. He finally settled for a new screen, bigger than a small country, an external hard drive for back-ups, a handful of USB sticks, and the only thing I really need, a Kensington cable lock. Throughout the bargaining over necessary equipment, the man came over as extremely competent.

Next I walked over to the college IT guys to have my computer registered to the network. Here again, I was struck by more competence than I've seen in the last two years and a half. I didn't even completely understand all that was done to my black baby.

But I liked the end result. My computer was connected to the intranet and the leg of the desk on one side and to a monstrous screen on the other. To put the icing on the cake, by the time everything was done, it was time to go home.

So I unplugged everything, shouldered my back, grabbed an Italian ice-cream on the way, and strolled back to my friend's place. The weekend will be busy with the move and maybe a music festival in Hyde Park or the first night of Notting Hill Carnival.

1 comment:

Dee said...

re your computer screen
there is a guy here at work who has a big one also. But he is in web design. We are still shocked every time we walk into his office. It is like Minority Report in there.

Congratulations on working for a well-oiled machine.