Sunday, October 28, 2012

abandoned

I wouldn't blame you for stopping to read, for having stopped reading, to be more precise, before the first sentence in this post. Does it still count as a blog if it isn't updated? Are my serialized pontifications a thing of the past that you think about fondly when you've already thought about everything else? I wouldn't blame you. Even to me it feels as if this blog has been abandoned. This post, which isn't really one as you will quickly realized, is only the second one this month. Nothing has happened in these pages though in life a lot has.

I would have liked to write about Lance Armstrong, for example, who was stripped of his unprecedented seven Tour de France titles last week for concocting an epic doping scheme. I was tempted, in a moment of confusion, to heap first scorn and then ridicule over him and flaunt my "Cheat to Win" wristband, which should now for sure replace the identically shaped and colored "Livestrong" strap on everyone who likes to wear yellow.

But when I stopped to think I realized that besides a lot of talk nothing has changed. Lance is still and will always be the symbol of an era. He won the Tour seven times because he was the best. He was the fastest up the mountains and the best-organized when it came to "supplements and recovery". He didn't do anything the others didn't do. He just did it better.

I have no time to go on about this because I have no time. With visits and visitors and work that's going well and a job search that's going on, the hours in each day fly by and then the days do the same, at almost the same speed. Only days ago I was walking by the beach, burning the soles of my feet in the hot sand, and now it's almost Christmas.

Thus I have no time to rave and rant about Hammersmith & Fulham council, my local authority and author of unrequested emails that pollute my inbox every week. Each purported newsletter (to all residents) manages to alienate and aggravate readers not in complete agreement with the council's policies with their aggressive and tendentious language. One glaring example warned that "Stink-pipe to force World War II style evacuation" where the war is something you don't use for rhetoric effect unless you've suffered through it and the stink-pipe a proposed upgrade to London's sewer systems that's designed to decrease the amount of stinking untreated sewage in the Thames. This is a subject that's dear to my heart and that I've mentioned in passing before. I'd love to get something eloquent on a page and into the hands of my elected representative, but I'm afraid this isn't going to happen to soon.

Work is going so well at the moment that I stay longer, think harder and do more. When I'm done at night, there's no brain left and hardly a breath for frivolous activities like keeping a blog up to date. It's sad because even when my brain stops working, the thoughts keep coming. They're just too incoherent and fragmented to add up to anything. Twitter would be the perfect medium, but this blog lies fallow. The only thing I can say in the hope of keeping you tuned is that I've plenty of notes that wait to grow into something. This blog here is definitely still the place. Keep the faith!

No comments: