Saturday, September 15, 2007

live is live

The other day I got a text message from Orange telling me that my DSL had come live. A reason to celebrate, after being cut off from the world for the better part of two months? Not yet, as the modem they promised to send was still missing. I was a bit worried how the package would make it though the mail slot that chokes on anything larger than a postcard it seems.

My worries proved unfounded. Last night my neighbor, her wet hair held high with a towel, knocked on my door and handed me a package she had received in my name a bit earlier. In it was the long-awaited Livebox. I plugged it in and hooked my computer up. Configuration was a snap. Communication now occurs through thin air. I'm back online.

The following hours flew by faster then the internet hit my browser. I had some serious planning to do for London Open House, an annual event that lets the interested public see, for free, architecturally significant structures of all sorts, many of which are normally closed. I had already missed out on the most spectacular buildings like the Swiss Re tower and the London Eye. Those require prebooking for which I had been late. But with over 600 objects to pick from, the challenge wasn't so much finding something interesting, but minimizing the time spent traveling.

That's done now. Let's live the city.

1 comment:

Dee said...

oh, neighbors.
how do you like them?