Friday, September 21, 2007

river of opportunity

Today I skipped lab most of the day. I stopped by early in the morning (no witnesses besides the cleaner, a kind and most diligent Nigerian), around lunchtime and late in the afternoon, just in time for some birthday donuts. The rest of the day, I attended the eagerly anticipated Source Event, a science career fair organized by the friendly folks at naturejobs.com.

It was the first time they've done something like that, and there were times, in the weeks leading up to it, when it showed. They were probably overwhelmed with the reaction. Over a thousand people signed up. At some point they asked for re-confirmation of attendance, combined with the opportunity to shell out ten pounds for the coffee breaks. I did both, but three days ago I received an email claiming I hadn't re-registered and telling me to "NOT attend The Source Event". I've just started a new job and am quite happy with it, so I didn't mind too much, but the ten pounds were bugging me. I went anyway.

At the door, I got my badge with no questions asked, and later tea and biscuits. I could have got an information packet from Pfizer as well, but that wasn't what I had come for. I was more interested in the talks. Going with the fluid theme of the event, three streams of talks were offered, one primarily for Ph.D. students, the other for post-docs eager to stay in research and the third offering career alternatives.

After getting stranded in the wrong room in the morning, I was in the bench-to-business section in the afternoon, and I was treated to some fine talks, covering intellectual property, finance and policy development. I learned of an opportunity I had never thought of before, something that seems to fit my skills, talents and interests perfectly. A clear alternative to my present career has budded, and I know in my heart that it's a viable option. Let's not name names at this points because the last two times I decided with my heart, the result was disastrous. But I'm mildly excited.

Back in the lab I briefly scanned job ads in that particular field. For the fourth or fifth, I was the near-perfect match, with only one qualification missing. I know what I'll do this fall. If nothing else, it will get my brain exercised and my body out of the cold rain. And who knows, maybe my professional life will start flowing in a different direction at some point.

1 comment:

Dee said...

wow, that is so cool.
re the last two times I decided with my heart, the result was disastrous
can you imagine how much worse if you had not decided with your heart?