Sunday, November 02, 2008

stressed out

I just found out that Wednesday will not only be one day after the U.S. Presidential Election, but also National Stress Awareness Day. Now I've always hated awareness days of all sorts, especially when I lived in the U.S. where they are so prolific. Cynically, I've always wanted to see a National Awareness Day Awareness Day, a day especially dedicated to awareness. With all these awareness days going on all the time it was entirely impossible to be aware of them.

It seems to me that a Stress Awareness Day is even more nonsensical than most. Wouldn't everyone be better off if unaware of his or her stress? Wouldn't life much more stressful if you are aware of your stress? I for sure don't want to be made aware of any stress that might be lurking in the dark corners of my life, just waiting to come out and bring me pain and misery.

I also wouldn't want anyone in the U.S. to be too stressed out to go vote on Tuesday. There are no excuses. The Economist is right. It's time.

No comments: